Westbrook, draft picks, chicken and more
Columbus and Rochester meet tonight at 7:05pm…
* Jake Westbrook has suffered a setback on his rehab assignment. He complained of soreness in his surgically repaired right elbow. Westbrook played catch Monday and may attempt a bullpen session on Wednesday. He still could join the Clippers on the upcoming road trip if the soreness subsides.
* Aaron Laffey will start for the Clippers on Thursday. He is expected to throw three innings or 50 pitches. Laffey has been shelved since May 23rd with a strained right oblique. Laffey has thrown a few bullpen sessions in preparation for Thursday.
* The Indians announced they’ve signed four draft picks:
1B Ben Carleson (6th round, Missouri State)
RHP Brent Brach (10th round, Monmouth)
LHP Kirk Wetmore (11th round, Bellevue CC)
INF Kyle Smith (14th round, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo)
* The Clippers lost 4-2 last night to Rochester, but 12,223 entered Huntington Park. It is the largest so far at the new ballpark. The Clippers are averaging 9,293 fans per game, the most in all of minor league baseball.
* Stephen Head is scheduled to play a few innings for Mahoning Valley on Friday. Head banged his right knee in an Indians spring training game on February 28th and re-injured it on May 1st against Durham.
* The Famous Chicken will be at Wednesday’s game. A record crowd a 20,131 attended the Chicken’s first Columbus appearance in 1980. I’ll have a link to an interview with the feathered phenom in a bit.
THE FAMOUS CHICKEN