The Clippers snapped a six game skid with a 8-7 win last night in Rochester. Columbus rallied with a six-run eighth inning to take the lead. Jordan Brown and Andy Marte hit the first back-to-back Clippers homers of the season.
In other news….
* As posted below, Michael Aubrey was traded to the Orioles today. The former first round pick has suffered from multiple injuries during his career, but has stayed healthy this season. He played in 59 games Clippers games, batting .292. The first baseman/designated hitter was removed from the 40-man roster in the off-season.
* Stephen Head returns to the Clippers tonight after a two game rehab stint with Mahoning Valley. Head, on the disabled list since May 7th, was 2-for-7 with 3 RBI and a homer with the Scrappers. Head injured his right knee on February 28th in an Indians spring training game and tweaked it on May 1st sliding for a ball in right field.
* Trevor Crowe joins the Clippers tonight after being optioned from Cleveland.
* Right-hander Greg Aquino has cleared waivers and been outrighted to Columbus. He was designated for assignment on June 19 and was 1-2 w/a 4.50ERA in 10 relief appearances for Cleveland (16.0IP, 13H, 8ER, 15BB, 11K). Aquino should join the Clippers in the next day or so.
* No word concerning the recently designated Luis Vizcaino. He could accept an assignment to Columbus if he clears waivers.
* The Indians acquired former Clippers reliver Jose Veras in a trade with the Yankees today. A move will be neccessary to make room for Veras on the Cleveland 25-man roster. Veras pitched in Columbus in 2006 and in 25 appearances out of New York’s bullpen this season, was 3-1 with a 5.96 ERA.
* Wes Hodges is expected to be activated from the disabled list later this week. He’s expected to play three innings, maybe with Mahoning Valley, on Friday. Hodges has been on the DL since May 13th with a sprained right wrist. He was also suffering from a bad shoulder early in the season.
* The Tribe has signed three more players from the draft:
OF Jordan Henry (7th round, Mississippi)
INF Casey Frawley (17th round, Stetson)
INF Greg Folgia (40th round, Missouri-Columbia)
The Indians have signed 22 of their 50 picks.
* The Clippers were just 2-10 in the last twelve games, entering last night. Jordan Brown was the player to play in each of those game and bat over .300. Brown hit .302 during that stretch.
* With the victory last night, the Clippers are now 5-1 in extra innings games.
* Last night was the 72nd game of the season…. the Clippers are now into the second half of the schedule.
* LHP Tony Sipp has been on the Columbus-Cleveland shuttle more than anyone this year. This is Sipp’s third call-up the the bigs. LHP Rich Rundles and INF Josh Barfield have each been recalled twice from the Clippers. A total of 22 players have spent time on both the Columbus and Cleveland rosters.
I’m sure there is more, but time is up… I’ll be back with lineups, notes and roster moves shortly.