July has arrived… and so has another edition of “Clippings”…. enjoy!
* The Clippers meet the Toldedo Mud Hens tonight for the first of five straight. The first two are at Huntington Park and Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Toledo.
* Columbus has lost six straight and 16 of the last 20. The Clippers are now 34-45 (.430) and 8.5 games out in the IL West Division. Toledo won last night, so the Clippers are in last place.
* The Clippers were 9-19 in June and 3-10 at home. Ouch.
* Aaron Laffey will start for the Clippers on Friday in Toledo. He was scheduled for five innings (80 pitches) in his last start for Double-A Akron, but lasted only 3 1/3. He gave up three runs on five hits with six walks and a hit batter. It is unknown if this will be his final rehab appearance, assuming the result is better.
* Wes Hodges is very close to returning to the Clippers lineup. Hodges has been on the disabled list since May with a sprained left wrist. He is 4-for-9 with 2 RBI and an error in four “rehab” games with class A Lake County. Torey Lovullo expects Hodges to get about 15 at-bats before returning to Columbus.
* Andy Marte was named the International League “Player of the Week”. Marte batted .478 (11-for-23) with 2 HR and 8 RBI in six games last week.
* Marte may find a tough time getting into the lineup when Wes Hodges returns. The Indians will want Hodges to play third base on a regular basis, which leaves little room for Marte. He may see a game per week at first, one per week at third, and a few as the designated hitter. The outfield is another possible option.
* Huntington Park will be open for Friday’s “Red, White and Boom” fireworks extravaganza. McGuffey Lane and Phill Dirt and the Dozers will be performing live starting at 3:00pm. Click here for more info.
* Akron has five players on the Eastern League All Star team:
1B Beau Mills
CA Carlos Santana
OF Nick Weglarz
P Vinnie Pestano
P Hector Rondon
* We should know which Clippers have been selected to the International League All Star squad tomorrow. Jordan Brown, Andy Marte, Matt LaPorta and Wyatt Toregas are all strong candidates.
* Jack Cassel was scheduled to pitch Thursday for the Clippers, but that may change. Cassel has made 15 consecutive starts and may simply need a rest. I’ll keep you posted.
* The Clippers ERA is now 4.58, worst in the International League.
* The Clippers Booster Club is taking a bus trip to Progressive Field on Friday, July 31st to see the Indians and Tigers. Click here for details.