The Clippers try to salvage the final game of the weekend in Toledo at 6:30pm tonight.
* Fausto Carmona will start tonight against the Mud Hens. Carmona was optioned to the Arizona League on June 5th. He was 2-6 with a 7.42 ERA in 12 starts with Cleveland, walking 41 batters in 60.2 innings. Carmona has made tw minor league starts prior to tonight, allowing one run in 13.2 IP. He is 2-0 with a 0.66 ERA in the minors.
* Wes Hodges returned to the Clippers lineup last night, going 0-for-4 as the designated hitter. Hodges played four ”rehab” games with Lake County after a long stint on the disabled list (sprained left wrist).
* Zach Jackson allowed sven runs in six innings of work last night. He has lost four straight decisions since returning from a spot start with Cleveland on May 27th. Jacksn’s ERA is now up to 5.40.
* The Clippers starting pitching has tallied only 34 quality starts in 83 games.
* A roster move is needed to make room for Carmona today. The Indians have announced that Hector Rondon will also be promoted from Akron to Columbus for his next start.
Rondon, the top pitching prospect in the organization, won each of his first five starts and was 7-5 with a 2.75 ERA for the Aeros. His ERA was the fifth-best in the Eastern League, he was tied for fourth in victories, and tied for fifth with 73 strikeouts in just 72 innings. He was holding Double-A opponents to a .227 batting average. Rondon is expected to start Wednesday against Indianapolis at Huntington Park.
* In other roster news, the Indians released veteran outfielder George Lombard. He played only eight games, batting .368 (7-for-19) with 4 RBI. Lombard, 33, spent most of the season on disabled list.
* Michael Brantley was not in the lineup last night. There are two reasons for his absence. 1) Brantley has been battling a chest cold 2) Torey Lovullo feels he’s been too agressive with Brantley, playing him in 78 of the 82 games this season. Brantley missed three games early in the season with a tight hamstring.
* Brantley continues to play a couple days per week in left field, preparing him for a promotion to Cleveland. Trevor Crowe patrols center on those days.
* Matt LaPorta continues to see significant time at first base for the same reason, presenting many theories and questions about the moves the Indians will make before the trade deadline at the end of the month. Stay tuned.
* Reliever Matt Herges was designated for assignment by Cleveland to make room for the recently aqcuired Winston Abreu. Herges, 39, did more than hold his own in the bigs (2-1, 3.55, 21 games). There is no word on his interest in re-joining the Clippers if the opportunity arises.
* The Clippers are 6-18 since June 11th. Columbus led the IL West Division on June 7th and now sits in last place, 11 games back.
* Columbus is the top hitting team in the International League (. 276 team average). The team’s ERA is up to 4.72, worst in the league.
* I’ll be hosting an All-Star break edition of the Indians Minor League Magazine Show on Tuesday, July 14th. The show, hosted by Al Pawlowski and Mark Schwab, airs on Tuesdays throughout the season at 6:00pm on SportsTime Ohio.
Enjoy the remainder of the holiday weekend and we’ll chat again later.