Hot, Hot, Hot
Today the temperature in Goodyear was somewhere north of 90 degrees and that’s plenty reason for the Indians to break camp and send their minor league clubs north. The Clippers roster will hop on a Columbus-bound plane Sunday…
* Manny Acta says he’ll announce the Indians Opening Day roster after Wednesday game against the White Sox. David Huff will take the mound and it looks like he’ll be the #5 starter, sending Carlos Carrasco to Columbus.
* Russell Branyan will start the season with the Clippers. MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince has the details here. The power-hitting first baseman went 2-for-3 with a HR in today’s Triple-A game against Louisville. Clippers fans can expect to see Jeremy Sowers on a rehab stint at some point as well. It’s too early to know if Kerry Wood is ticketed for a journey through the minors on his way back.
* For the sake of speculating, it looks like Andy Marte and Mark Grudzielanek will be the Indians backup infielders joining LaPorta, Valbuena, Cabrera and Peralta. That means Anderson Hernandez and Luis Rodriguez could possibly be Columbus bound. Hernandez is on the 40-man roster and Rodriguez is not, but Hernandez would probably be removed to clear a spot for Grudzielanek and would need to clear waivers before a minor league assignment.
* Austin Kearns will make the big club and either be the fourth outfielder behind Michael Brantley or the left field starter ahead of Trevor Crowe. I think the former is most likely, sending Crowe to the Clippers. Whether it’s Brantley or Crowe landing at Huntington Park, they’ll play mostly left (only about two starts per week in center). Jose Constanza will be the regular in center for the Clippers.
* Current Indians GM Mark Shapiro and future GM Chris Antonetti were in attendance for the minor league games Monday. The big club had a night game so the front office brass took time to watch some action on the back fields of the Goodyear complex.
* MLB.com has released the Indians 10 prospects to watch in 2010.
* If you’re interested in David Huff’s final audition for the Indians #5 starter spot, I’ll be calling the action beside Jim Rosenhaus Wednesday. Listen on Indians.com starting at 4:05pm EST.
* The Clippers “Meet the Team Party” has been moved to the LC Pavillion (right next door to Huntington Park) on Wednesday, April 7th from 6-9pm. Tickets are $12 with food, soft drinks, inflatables, games, autograph tables, player introductions by Wags and Elliott of QFM 96 and much more. For info call 614-462-5250.
* The latest feature to the Clippers radio broadcast this season is the “Pure Energy Play of the Game” brought to you by the National Honey Board. “Honey… one ingredient… the way nature intended.” Trust me, you’re going to love it.