The Blog Lives!!!
As the second half of the Clippers season begins tonight, I’m returning to the blog after much needed break. I’ll still be posting the lineups here, but I’d like to get back to the good stuff from earlier in the year. Start looking for things like the “Mailbag” and “Clippings” again. As a matter of fact, here are some “Clippings” to get half #2 underway…
* The Clippers are playing the third of a four-game series in Rochester tonight at 7:05pm. Josh Tomlin will start against Red Wings lefty Glen Perkins.
* Nick Weglarz has not played since 6/18 because of tendinitis in his knee. He suffered a stress fracture to his tibia last year and had surgery where a steel rod was inserted into his leg. Mike Sarbaugh said the tendinitis is probably related to the surgery.
* Weglarz is 1-for-8 on the road trip and is now batting .059 (2-for-34) in nine road games, compared to .353 (18-for-51) in 15 home games.
* Universal Sports Columbus (WDEM-TV), channel 17 in Columbus is airing “Clippers Extra Innings” each Thursday at 5:30pm. It’s a 30 minute show dedicated to your Hometown Heroes. This week’s show includes a chat with Chris Gimenez.
* Sunday’s tilt at Pawtucket was suspended due to rain in the 6th inning with the Clippers leading 4-3. It will be resumed in Columbus on Friday, July 23rd and be followed by the regularly scheduled 9-inning game.
* The Clippers are 42-30 after 72 games, exactly halfway through the season. Last year the Clippers were 33-39. The last time Columbus was above .500 at the midpoint was 2008 (41-31).
* The Indians announced that Aaron Laffey will start on Friday in Cincinnati. Laffey was 0-1 with a 3.98 ERA over four Triple-A starts. He walked seven in his last outing.
* The Clippers rotation will now look like this:
Tonight: RH Josh Tomlin (6-3, 4.36)
Tomorrow: LH David Huff (NR)
Friday: RH Carlos Carrasco (5-3, 4.29)
Saturday: RH Jeanmar Gomez (4-7, 5.76)
Sunday: RH Yohan Pino (7-3, 4.65)
* Entering tonight’s game, Josh Rodriguez is batting .435 (10-for-23) against Rochester in six games. J-Rod is hitting . 329 with 5 HR and 17 RBI in 23 games since his promotion from Akron.
* Matt LaPorta is scheduled to appear on Bruce Drennan’s “All Bets Are Off” on SportsTime Ohio tomorrow after the Indians-Phillies game.
Listen to the Clippers tonight in Rochester at 7:05pm on AM 920 WMNI or