I hear the train a coming…
The transaction wire is heating up and there are plenty more moves coming that could affect the Clippers…
* The Indians promoted Jeanmar Gomez to make today’s spot start and he did not disappoint. Gomez fired seven innings and didn’t allow an earned run… 7IP, 5H, 2R, 0ER, 1BB, 4K.
* Zach Putnam was added to the Clippers bullpen to replace Gomez for the time being, but Gomez is expected to return to the Clippers for his next outing. Putnam was 4-1 with a 3.86 ERA in 20 appearances in Akron. The right-hander was drafted in 2008 out of the University of Michigan (don’t hold that against him).
* Infielder Justin Toole joined Columbus from Kinston. No word on how long Toole’s stay with the Clippers will last, but it may be a short stint considering the other moves that will be made soon.
* To make room for Gomez in Cleveland, Anderson Hernandez was designated for assignment and could land back in Columbus if he clears waivers. Hernandez batted .246 with 2 RBI in 22 games with Cleveland.
* Asdrubal Cabrera is rehabbing a broken left forearm with Akron and is expected to re-join the Tribe next week. The Indians can now activate Cabrera without issue because Hernandez was removed from the 40-man roster. Cabrera is on the 60-day disabled list, which doesn’t count against the 40-man.
* Shin-Soo Choo took batting practice today and is expected to rehab with Akron this week before joining Cleveland on Friday. Choo has been out with a strained right thumb. Choo is on the 15-day DL, but was originally thought to be out until late August or September.
* Anthony Reyes is set begin pitching in Goodyear and will start to work his way back into the fold in the coming weeks during a 30-day minor league rehab assignment. Reyes made only eight starts last year before being sidelined and eventually undergoing Tommy John surgery.
There will be a quiz later so stay tuned!
* In other news, our friend Tony Lastoria has this article on Bryce Stowell’s rise through the minors.
* After the game in Norfolk tonight, the Clippers will be heading for Durham in this 80+ passenger, double-decker bus…