Leo: J-Lew, who knew?
The Indians outrighted reliever (and Clippers broadcast favorite) Jensen Lewis to the Columbus roster today after he cleared waivers. Lewis is still Indians property because it’s his first time being outrighted, so he was forced to accept the assignment.
He has been tremendous as a Clipper, posting a 2.67 ERA in 27 appearances last year, but has yet to solidify a spot in Cleveland’s bullpen for the long term. His ERA lowered from 2009 to 2010 (4.61 to 2.97), but allowed nine earned runs in 5.2 innings of spring action before getting bumped off the 25-man roster.
It was assumed that Lewis was locked into a spot in Manny Acta’s bullpen, but you know what happens when you assume…
The bad news is that Lewis much re-prove himself to the Indians in order to get back to Progressive Field. The good news is that we’ll soon have a Jensen Lewis interview (which is always entertaining) coming to a Clippers broadcast near you…
* RHP Joe Smith (Wright State alum) hasn’t pitched in two weeks because of a strained abdominal muscle. It looks like he’ll miss Cleveland’s opener also.
* Jason Bastian of MLB.com writes that Tony Sipp, Chad Durbin, Rafael Perez, and Chris Perez are locks for the big league bullpen with three spots open. Interestingly, we thought there was only one spot open once Durbin was signed. That was before Smith’s injury and Lewis’ demotion. My how things change…
* Indians GM Chris Antonetti recently stated that top prospect Lonnie Chisenhall (3B) is Columbus-bound, but there is a chance that Jason Kipnis (2B) and Alex White (RHP) could start the year with Akron. Stay tuned!
* Speaking of the roster shuffling, Sheldon Ocker of the Akron Beacon-Journal recently tried to solve the mystery of Cleveland’s Opening Day bunch. He has free agent acquisitions Jack Hannahan, Travis Buck, and Adam Everett making the big club. That could throw a wrench in the plans of guys like Shelley Duncan, Trevor Crowe, Luis Valbuena, and Jayson Nix to name a few.
* It appears Jason Donald is out of the equation for the Indians Opening Day roster (bone bruise on left hand). When he returns, he’ll be the likely third baseman.
* The Indians released Ben Carlson, Andrew Shive, Nick Kirk, Matt Speake, and Alex Morales from the organization. Players battling for a Triple-A spot are not likely to get released, but it happened to 1B/OF Stephen Head at this time last year. I’m told it could happen again…
* The Lake County Captains received their 2010 Midwest League championship rings before a game at Goodyear Ballpark last week. The Clippers will be awarded the 2010 Triple-A National Championship rings prior to next week’s exhibition against the Indians. Click here for ticket info.
* The 4th Annual Clippers 5K and Fun Run is scheduled for 1:00pm on Saturday, April 16th. That’s just a few hours before the Clippers home opener! The boys at Second Sole Racing are once again handling the preparations. It’s always a good time!
* There has been a Jason Davis sighting in Goodyear!
* Clippers Merchandise Director Krista Oberlander has one again exceeded any and all expectations with the new line of Clippers apparel at the Cargo Shop. Call the office at 614-462-5250 for hours of operation.
* The Huntington Park center field ticket booth is now open from 10:00am-2:00pm, Monday through Friday leading up to the season. Say hello to my man Kevin Daniels!
* Tickets are just five bucks to see the Clippers play the Ohio State Buckeyes in an exhibition on April 5th. Click here for tickets!
* This blog will be improving yet again! I’m told the changes involve customization, widgets, mobile posting, captions, and a commenting system that is easier for the bloggers and commenters. Are you excited yet?