Leo: Playin’ at the sandlot
I was watching the movie “The Sandlot” with my son a few nights ago and remembered how much I like that movie. Benjamin Franklin “Benny the Jet” Rodriguez was a cool, smart, tough kid… and man was he fast!
My son is six and his favorite character, of course, is ‘The Beast”, the 300-pound dog that devours all the baseballs hit over the fence. James Earl Jones as “Mr. Mertle” is pretty neat too. Jones and Kevin Costner are the “kings” of baseball movies!
On a side note, did you know comedian Dennis Leary is in that movie? I forgot he played the role of Scott’s father (Scott is the main character who becomes the Dodgers broadcaster at the end).
For me, The Sandlot doesn’t compare to the likes of Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, or even Major League (my personal favorite), but it’s a good movie just before the baseball season begins, especially watching with a six year old boy who dreams of being the next “Benny The Jet” or maybe he dreams of being “The Beast”.
On to other news…
* The Indians are expected to announce the fifth starter in the next couple days. Josh Tomlin is considered the favorite, but David Huff and Jeanmar Gomez are still being considered.
* The Clippers rotation will probably consist of two-thirds of the Tomlin, Huff, Gomez battle, Alex White, Zach McAllister, and Corey Kluber. There was thought that White could start in Akron, but that now seems unlikely.
* It looks like Joe Martinez will be in the Clippers bullpen along with Jensen Lewis, Josh Judy, Doug Mathis, and Jess Todd to name a few. The Indians are also close to signing lefty Jesse English to a minor league contract. English pitched mostly in Syracuse last year in addition to seven appearances with the Washington Nationals.
* Josh Rodriguez could be headed back to the Indians. J-Rod is locked in a three-way battle for the final utility spot on Pittsburgh’s 25-man roster. Rodriguez, a Rule 5 pick in December, must stay on the major league roster for the entire season or be offered back to Cleveland. The Pittsburgh media believes the Buccos will offer a trade to keep Rodriguez, but with the lack of shortstops at upper levels, it’s likely the Tribe will take Rodriguez back.
* Grady Sizemore is scheduled to suit up for the Clippers in a spring game tomorrow. Sizemore, INF Jason Donald, OF Trevor Crowe, RHP Joe Smith, and RHP Anthony Reyes are a some of the candidates to appear in Columbus on rehab assignments at some point.
* The Indians opening day lineup looks to be just about set:
1. M. Brantley CF
2. A. Cabrera SS
3. S. Choo RF
4. C. Santana C
5. T. Hafner DH
6. O. Cabrera 2B
7. M. LaPorta 1B
8. A. Kearns RF
9. J. Hannahan 3B
P – RH F. Carmona
(Please note: I decided on the first initial, full last name format in honor of Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball for Super Nintendo circa 1994, one of the best baseball video games ever created)
The bench spots are still being discussed, but Lou Marson is thought to be the backup catcher with Travis Buck and Adam Everett filling in spots as well. The last spot probably goes to Shelley Duncan. An official roster announcement could come as early as Friday.
* What does the Clippers lineup look like? Here is my latest guess:
1. E. Carrera CF
2. J. Kipnis 2B
3. L. Chisenhall 3B
4. C Huffman LF
5. J. Brown 1B
6. C. Phelps/J. Goedert DH
7. M. McBride RF
8. P. Phillips C
9. L. Valbuena SS
We should know, for sure, who’ll start with in Columbus within the next few days. Needless to say, the roster will be a VERY fluid situation…
* Last (but not least) the Clippers ticket department has announced the “Great Eight” Box Seat Plan. Get eight pre-selected box seats along with admission to the Tansky Sawmill Toyota Club for just $100. Tickets are available is sections 4 and 20. Call 614-462-5250 for more info.
The next “Clippers Mailbag” feature is right around the corner so send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org