Leo: Counting the days…
As you can see, the blog is taking on a new look. We are in the middle of a transition phase, so be patient if things are not where the should be. Some of the previous spring training posts are missing, but hopefully they’ll be archived again soon.
In the meantime, we are down to the final days of spring training. The Indians and Clippers will break camp on Monday, travel Tuesday, and play Wednesday in the Huntington Park exhibition game in downtown Columbus. The rosters are just about set and the fun is about to begin…
* Clippers manager Mike Sarbaugh has been away from the team for a few days because of a death in the family. He is ticketed to re-join the club for Wednesday’s exhibition.
* Josh Tomlin was announced as Cleveland’s #5 starter, meaning that both David Huff and Jeanmar Gomez will start in Columbus. Tomlin only pitched eight innings in the Cactus League, allowing one run.
*Outfielders Travis Buck and Shelley Duncan have made the Cleveland roster, so Jordan Brown and Chad Huffman will be Clippers.
* The Indians have three bullpen spots to fill. There are four candidates: Justin Germano, Frank Herrmann, Jess Todd, and Vinnie Pestano. The Clippers may get the odd-man-out to fill to fill the Triple-A bullpen.
* Travis Buck and Justin Germano are not on the 40-man roster, so the Indians would have to make a move to get them both added. The 40-man roster currently stands at 39.
* Carlos Santana’s backup catcher will be either Lou Marson, Paul Phillips, or Luke Carlin. The two that are not chosen will form the Columbus catching duo.
* The final Indians roster spot up for grabs is the utility infielder position. The candidates are Adam Everett, Jayson Nix, and Luis Valbuena. Everett seems to be the leading candidate, but he’s not on the 40-man, which could make chosing him more complicated.
* Cord Phelps was re-assigned to minor league camp yesterday, he’ll be in the Clippers Opening Day lineup.
* Third baseman Jared Goedert says he strained his oblique while facing Cincinnati Reds flame-thrower Aroldis Chapman earlie in spring camp. Goedert was summoned off the bench to bat against Chapman and injured himself swinging. He hopes to be ready for the Clippers regular season opener in Indianapolis April 7th.
I’ll be back later tonight with more fun!