Leo: Exhibition Game Preview
The Clippers and Indians will play each other for the first time since Columbus became the Tribe’s Triple-A affiliate in 2009…
Who: Cleveland Indians, Columbus Clippers
What: Exhibition Game
When: Wednesday, 1:05pm
Where: Huntington Park, Columbus
* Gates will open to the public at 11:00am for Indians take batting practice (11:15am-12:00pm). The Clippers will hit from 10:30am-11:15am.
* This is the final tune-up for Cleveland. The Indians open the regular season Friday against the White Sox. Cleveland was 15-14-2 in Arizona, but won eight of the last eleven.
* The 2011 “Tribe on Tour” event stopped in Columbus at The Mall at Tuttle Crossing Tuesday as part of the “lead up’ to the exhibition game. Indians greats Len Barker, Joe Charboneau, and Mike Hargrove met with Tribe fans, signed autographs, and participated in various activities with the crowd.
Mitch Talbot will be the Indians starting pitcher. Talbot is 1-1 with a 8.61 ERA in the Cactus League. He will be the Indians #5 starter in the rotation. Talbot is expected to throw three innings and then the Clippers will supply pitching for both squads for the remainder of the game.
UPDATE: Zach McAllister will be Cleveland’s starter. McAllister is ticketed to be the Clippers #4 starter this season, but he’ll fill in for the Indians today.
* David Huff gets the nod for Columbus. Huff missed out on the Indians final vacancy in the rotation. He’s 2-1 with a 5.82 ERA in major league camp. He’s expected to be the Clippers Opening Day starter.
* The Clippers (and several Indians) will receive their 2010 Governors Cup Championship rings. Clippers President/GM Ken Schnacke and community VIPs will present the rings during a pre-game ceremony.
* There will be three special features on the Huntington Park video board: Tributes to Bob Feller, Harold Cooper, and last year’s Clippers championship squad will be part of the pre-game festivities.
* The Clippers Booster Club will be accepting donations Japan Relief Effort in association with the American Red Cross of Greater Columbus. There will be a Booster Club table located on the concourse, across from the NAPA Guest Services Center.
* The Clippers are expected to wear the traditional white uniforms and the Tribe will sport their navy and red Cactus League jerseys.
* Outfielder Chad Huffman will not be available for Columbus after battling sickness on Tuesday in Arizona.
* Infielder Cristo Arnal will join the Clippers in case he’s needed for this game.
* Wednesday’s game can be seen live on SportsTime Ohio. Matt Underwood and Rick Manning will call the action.
* Free live audio is available at Indians.com. Jim Rosenhaus will be joined by Ryan and I throughout the broadcast.
See you at the park!!!