Leo: Bullpen Tidbits
It’s time for a Preferred Wireless, Sprint ”Call to the Bullpen”…
Preferred Wireless is the Official Wireless Communications Provider of the Columbus Clippers
* Ruben Niebla’s relief corp is back to full strength (sort of) after the latest round of roster moves.
* Right-hander Tyler Sturdevant was called up from Akron because the Clippers were in desperate need of an arm. Sturdevant pitched three innings last night and was returned to Double-A today.
* Mitch Talbot has joined the club on a rehab assignment and is expected to pitch out of the Clippers bullpen. The 27 year-old righty went on the shelf with a strained back on Wednesday. Talbot started the season the Cleveland’s fifth starter, but has struggled. He is just 1-6 with a 7.63 ERA since his late May return from an elbow strain.
* Chen Lee has been a nice addition to the staff. Lee features a fastball, slider, and split change-up from a lower that usual arm slot. The Taiwanese right-hander has not allowed an earned run with the Clippers after posting a 2-1 record and a 2.50 ERA in 23 games in Double-A.
* Big left-hander Nick Hagadone seems to have found his groove. One of the top pitching prospects in the Cleveland organization, Hagadone’s velocity has climbed to 95-97 mph in his last few outings. He is very much on the Indians radar and has all the tools to be in the bigs.
The bullpen trio of Zach Putnam, Josh Judy, and Vinnie Pestano was instrumental in the Clippers championship run last year. The relievers will undoubtably play a huge role this fall, the only question is, who will step up? Stay tuned.
See you at the park!