Leo: Deadlines, Deadlines, Deadlines
The Cleveland Indians made plenty of noise at the trading deadline with moves that they made and didn’t make.
* The Tribe moved the top two pitching prospects, Drew Pomeranz and Alex White, to Colorado with RHP Joe Gardner and 1B/OF Matt McBride for Rockies ace Ubaldo Jimenez.
* Cleveland acquired Triple-A outfielder Thomas Neal from San Francisco for 2B Orlando Cabrera. Neal is on the disabled list with a hand contusion, but is scheduled to join the Clippers Tuesday and could be activated very soon. Neal, 23, was batting .295 with 25 RBI for Triple-A Fresno before the injury. His resume includes All-Star seasons in High-A and Double-A. He bats right-handed, has played all three outfield positions, and was batting .308 (20-for-65) with runners in scoring position.
* The Indians picked up OF Kosuke Fukudome from the Cubs for Clippers righty Carlton Smith and minor league OF Abner Abreau.
* Many expected Cleveland to land another major league proven bat, but no last minutes deals were made for such.
* The Clippers added switch-hitting INF Argenis Reyes to the roster today. He was signed from independent ball today, but batted .340 in 16 games during the Clippers 2010 season. Reyes will provide some needed infield depth after Jason Donald went to the majors after Saturday’s game.
* RHP Matt Langwell was promoted from Akron today. He was 4-1 with 2.66 in 36 games (one start) against the Eastern League.
*Fans attending Sunday’s game can arrive early and watch some of the Clippers adult fantasy camp. Former major league greats Ferguson Jenkins, Len Barker, George Foster, Bucky Dent, and others will play two four-inning games against the campers starting at 2:00pm
My deadline has arrived…
See you at the park!