Leo: Free Agent Clippings
Jerad Head is among the long list of players who filed for minor league free agency last week. Head was outrighted off the Cleveland 40 man roster for the second time, giving him the option to declare free agency.
Head was one of the Clippers most consistent hitters and was, without a doubt, the most clutch. He was involved in at least half a dozen last at-bat victories for the Clippers, either driving in or scoring the winning run.
Here are a few that came less than four weeks apart:
* His three-run homer highlighted a six-run eighth inning during a 6-3 win over Toledo on July 7th.
* He scored the winning tally on a Paul Phillips sacrifice fly, a 10-inning victory over Indianapolis on July 15th.
* His RBI single snapped an 8th inning, 4-4 tie with Indy on July 17th. The Clippers won 6-4.
* He hit a walk-off homer to beat Scranton Wilkes-Barre 7-6 on July 18th.
* He scored the game-winner on Chad Huffman’s 9th inning single, beating Norfolk 8-7 on August 1st.
Jerad batted .284 with 24 HR and 70 RBI in 114 games this season.
In his rookie Triple-A campaign, he was the 2010 Triple-A National Championship MVP.
Head’s numbers were nothing short of remarkable at Huntington Park, so logic would say that Head will at least consider re-signing with Cleveland.
There are three good reasons: He’s played well in Columbus,won two championships, and there could still be more major league opportunities for him on Lake Erie.
Head’s agent Mark Kligman tweeted that he will get “lots of interest” and I think he’s right, his phone will be ringing.
Jerad Head joins RHP Joe Martinez, RHP Jason Rice, RHP Adam Miller, LHP Jeremy Sowers, CA Paul Phillips,CA Michel Hernandez, 1B Nick Johnson, INF Cristo Arnal, INF Argenis Reyes, and OF John Drennen as Cleveland minor leaguers joining the free agent ranks already. Baseball America has this list of free agents compiled. RHP Mitch Talbot also elected free agency after the season.
- Former Clippers infielder Brian Bixler was claimed off waivers by Houston last week. Bixler played for Columbus in 64 games during the 2010 season.
- In the wake of Grady Sizemore’s departure, Paul Hoynes takes a look back at the 2002 Bartolo Colon trade.
- There are new photos available from the end of the Clippers season.
- Tom Brunansky has been hired as the hitting coach for the Rochester Red Wings. He was previously the Twins Double-A hitting coach.
- Tony Lastoria, Indians Prospect Insider, has posted his organizational depth chart and payroll info.
- Do you have your 2012 Clippers Season Tickets yet? If you answered no then you have a phone call to make. Call Scott or Eddie at 614-462-5250 and ask about full or partial plans.
- The Boston Red Sox have been given permission to interview Sandy Alomar Jr. for their managerial vacancy.
- New York Yankees slugger Nick Swisher donated $500,000 to the Ohio State baseball program and the Buckeyes have named the field at Bill Davis Stadium after him. ABC 6 has the story.
- Jim Thome signing with the Phillies is history repeating.
- The Clippers Cargo Shop is getting ready for the post-thanksgiving sales rush. Check out some of the inventory and make your holiday wish list,like the retro brand long sleeve and crew neck shirts.
- The Florida Marlins officially become the Miami Marlins on Friday.
That’s all for now. Have a great week!