Leo: The Interview Process
The Cleveland Indians are still getting their feet wet with the Cactus League schedule, but the focus of the front office and coaching staff is on selecting the last few spots for the 25-man roster that will take the field against Toronto on April 5th.
We know the Indians are looking for a fifth starter, two bullpen spots (if Chris Perez returns in time to start the season), and back-up infielders and outfielders.
David Huff pitched two scoreless innings in a 6-6 tie with Cincinnati Saturday. Huff is trying to fend off Kevin Slowey, Jeanmar Gomez, and Zach McAllister for the final rotation spot.
Frank Herrmann gave up four runs from five hits in that same game. Herrmann is trying to finish ahead of Robinson Tejeda, Jeremy Accardo, Chris Ray, Chris Seddon, Nick Hagadone and others for one of those two relief positions. Tejeda allowed one run while Accardo and Hagadone pitched scoreless frames in Saturday’s game. If Chris Perez suffers a setback in his recovery, three members of the group will start the year in Cleveland.
Russ Canzler is 2-for-2 with one RBI so far, he’s trying to earn a spot along with guys like Aaron Cunningham and Jason Donald. With Grady Sizemore out 2-3 months after back surgery, Cunningham’s odds seem to increase and there’s a chance he could see regular playing time with the Tribe.
The only real position battle takes place at the hot corner where the Tribe are deciding between Jack Hannahan and Lonnie Chisenhall.
The games over the next few weeks will shape the Indians roster and those decisions will help shape the Clippers roster… Let’s watch and enjoy!
* Mark your calendar, the 2012 Clippers “Meet the Team Party” will be held Wednesday, April 4th at the LC Pavillion (right next to Huntington Park) from 5:00pm – 8:00pm. Admission is free!
* Justin Masterson has been named the Indians Opening Day starter. Masterson, a native of Beavercreek, Ohio, will make his first Opening Day appearance.
* Tables on Huntington Park’s Hall of Fame Bar Terraces went on sale this week. A group of four will receive game tickets, a reserved terrace table, and a $60 voucher to spend on food and beverage served at the Hall of Fame Bar for $120. There are only four terraces available each night and the must be reserved in advance. Click here for details.
* I have my copy of the Indians Prospect Insider 2012 “Top 100 Prospects & More” book. It’s now available from our friend Tony Lastoria. Check out Tony’s site and place your order!
* If you’re not already, follow the Clippers on Twitter for updated info on the team, ballpark promotions, etc.
Keep checking back!