Leo: No Place Like Home
The Clippers return home to begin a ten game stand tonight. Columbus finished just 4-6 on the three-city, divisional road trip.
Here are some of the storylines we’re following:
* Cord Phelps has reached base in 44 consecutive games dating back to last July. There is no official league record for an on-base streak, Clippers outfielder Brandon Watson holds the hitting streak record (43 games in 2007). It looks like Cord’s streak is the longest since Wes Timmons reached safely in 48 straight games with Gwinnett in 2009.
* Columbus has out-hit opponents in 14 of 18 games this season, but hold just a 9-5 record in those contests. The Clippers have left 75 runners on base in the last eight games.
* Mike Sarbaugh’s club set their season low for hits on back-to-back nights in Toledo, managing just six hits on Sunday and three on Monday.
* Lonnie Chisenhall is batting .330 (31-for-94) in a Columbus uniform dating back to June 22, 2011.
* The Clippers pitching staff is on pace to shatter the franchise strikeout record set by last year’s club. Columbus has recorded 165 strikeouts in 18 games. The 2011 team finished with 1,142 K’s.
* Corey Kluber leads the International League with 29 strikeouts in 21 innings.
That’s all for now.
See you at the ballpark this week!