Results tagged ‘ Spring Training ’
It’s a camp day in Goodyear, which means a morning workout followed by a scrimmage against the Double-A club. Matt LaPorta, Wes Hodges, Jordan Brown, Michael Aubrey, Luis Valbuena, and others are in action. John Meloan and Rich Rundles are scheduled to pitch.
Today at camp:
* I saw Jake Westbrook long tossing with Indians trainer Lonnie Soloff.
* Bob Fellar was on hand today. He was hanging out in the media room.
* Adam Miller was in good spirits. Anthony Castrovince has the latest here.
* Jordan Brown blasted a two-run homer in today’s scrimmage. After the game he told me, “This (Clippers) team is going to rake.”
* Word is circulating the Josh Barfield will as expected, be the 25th man on the Indians roster. That means Trevor Crowe is headed to Columbus.
* The Clippers rotation is taking shape: Aaron Laffey, Jeremy Sowers, David Huff, Kirk Saarloos, and possibly Jae Kuk Ryu. Nobody is sure if the fifth spot quit yet, but Ryu is now officially in camp (I saw him today).
* Andy Cannizaro should be in minor league camp soon. I’m told he is dealing with a hamstring problem. He’s also had a bad back over the last couple years. I haven’t had a chance to visit with him yet.
* George Lombard did a double-take when he saw me approaching him today. Once he remembered who I was, he said “After you’ve been with more than two organizations, all the names and faces start to run together.” He has played in the Braves, Rays, Red Sox, Nationals, and Marlins organizations (to name a few). George told me he’s unsure of his situation because, he plans on playing in Columbus, he realizes there are several outfielders in the mix like LaPorta, Crowe, Brantley, Head, and Hall.
It’s 75 and sunny here is Goodyear (isn’t it always?!?) and the Clippers are taking the field shortly to play the Brewers Triple-A squad. Today’s lineup is looking more like the lineup that will take the field in Louisville on April 9th.
The first seven spots are likely to be Clippers…
1. George Lombard LF
2. Luis Valbuena 2B
3. Michael Brantley CF
4. Michael Aubrey DH
5. Wes Hodges 3B
6. Jordan Brown 1B
7. Mickey Hall RF
We’re missing Matt LaPorta from this lineup and Trevor Crowe is still in the Indians camp, so the outfield is an interesting situation. Lombard is having (it seems) a nice spring plus Stephen Head and Mickey Hall will factor in somewhere. I’m sure the picture will be more clear in the next few days.
Oh, and Kerry Wood is going to pitch the first inning for the Clippers today, so it’s not EXACTLY like it’ll be come opening day.